Every Friday I’ll post my top 6. Why 6? Because it’s my favorite number.
Today I am focused on strategies that will assist in the challenges of the approaching weekend. Since I will be at a BBQ this weekend, I thought it would be fun to give y’all my favorite ways to eat well during a period of temptation.
1. Eat healthy before you get to the BBQ and Bring your own food.
This is so you won’t over-eat because your stomach is already satisfied. Bring your own foods: including a veggie platter, low fat burgers and fruit.
2. Load your plate with fruit, lean meat and salad. – The fiber will get you full quickly and the volume of food on your plate will not be as dense as hamburger and chips.
3. Focus on conversation and Get Active. – This is a get-together not a food-a-thon. Get up and play volleyball, football or with the kids.
4. Remember your goals – always reflect back to cause and effect.
5. Drink a lot of water and Chew Gum– keep a waterbottle at hand to gulp whenever you feel the urge to splurge. For all you oral fixated people, this will keep your mouth distracted without adding excess calories.
6. Resist. Resist. Resist. Most of the time our fitness success comes from small decisions to be ‘progressive’. This bbq is usually no more than 5 hours. Just like exercise, focus on the goal to be disciplined for a bit of time, and afterwards, you will thank yourself for it.
Me and my beautiful niece at a BBQ in May!