I have used an Fitness Calendar for over ten years. There are poster boards rolled up in my closet dating back to my college years. Having a large wall calendar was very useful because it kept me accountable (since no one usually checked in on me) and made me re-focus on long term goals each day. Having an Fitness Calendar was particularly helpful during the winter months when life became incredibly busy with festivities and holidays.
How to Make an Action Plan: 15 rules.
- Print out 3 copies of the Blank Calendar (download button below)
- Fill in the dates, add the month on top and include special dates (holidays/birthdays).
- Paste/Tape it to your wall/poster board
- Place it in an area you see every day
- Put your GOALS next to your Action Plan
- Write 6 things you will focus on in the next 3 months
- Each day write down what you trained
- Put a big ‘x’ on your rest days
- Utilize the calendar to track how much you weighed each week, when you had your ‘cheat’ meals/days, or when you started your period (for women obviously. You will see patterns around this time of the month)
- Use highlighters or colored pens to make the calendar more visual. For example, when I run, I highlight in green (favorite color), when I have rest days I highlight in red. I can already see several feet away when I’m not on track.
- Only write down what you trained AFTER you did it. Don’t pre-schedule (on the calendar at least.)
- Add inspirational/motivation words, people, phrases on the poster.
- Encourage a friend to also create an Action plan to hold each other accountable.
- Don’t go beyond 3 days not updating your calendar. You will forget what you did.
- Always remember that it only works if you use and review it weekly. You must reflect why you aren’t hitting training goals or even the times when you are successfully hitting them… Is it when you’re busy/not busy? Are you too sore? Are you aiming too high? Are you aiming too low? Reflection and understanding your internal challenges is true success in this fitness process. When you can figure out you – the physical you will take form naturally.
Download the monthly calendar by clicking HERE: FITNESS CALENDAR