I still remember the days when I had a muffin top! I was very self conscious in form fitting dresses and tight tops. My vision was to confidently wear a tank top and jeans in the summertime! It took consistency, discipline, faith and patience but I finally got
rid of mines and here’s some tips on how to get rid of yours!
If you have any tips, pics or success stories to help others, please share!
1. Strength train your whole body! In order to see abdominal definition you typically need an athletic body fat percentage. So get lean (everywhere).
2. Additional benefits of strength training include more muscle, which increases your metabolism and overall fat-burning potential.
3. Limit your sugar intake. Excess carbs (esp simple carbs) that aren’t used for energy is stored as fat.
4. Don’t be scared of fat! Eat a balanced diet that includes healthy fats like nuts, avocado, olive and coconut oil.
5. Focus on exercises that focus on your transverse abdominal (TVA) – your deepest core muscle. I often perform several variations of the plank weekly.
6. Train your lower back. Your muffin top is not just the front of your body, but the back also. If you have a weak lower back (if you sit often this may be you) it will impede your success.
7. Don’t get stressed out. Be restful and practice meditation and perhaps prayer. When you are stressed you increase the stress hormone, cortisol, which promotes fat storage in your tummy area.
8. Drink a lot of water. Not only does water cleanse your system but prevents dehydration. Very often bloating and water retention occurs from lack of water intake.
9. Suck it in. Practice drawing your tummy in at all times: when you’re driving, standing, laying down… It engages your deepest core muscles and encourages better posture.
10. Perform intense cardio. High intensity interval training has proven to burn more calories, even after your workout. I usually train a minimum of 20 minutes/day 5-6 days a week.
It would be really awesome/helpful if you included some links to ways to do some of these things? I’m pretty new to the lingo and “strength training” and “high intensity interval training” translate to ‘lift weights’ and ‘run really fast’ for me– I need help :p
After having 2 babies I struggle with excess fat & skin in the center area,right around the belly button. Any suggestion of abs work out that would help a little more with this?!
Keep up the great work, you have been an inspiration to many of us! Not just the overweight crowd,but the ‘fit before baby’ crowed as well. 😉
Maria You look amazing.
How long did it take you to get there. I’m commenting on the pictures above with the muffin tops.
My baby girl arrived January 19th and I can’t wait to look as fabulous as you.
Thank you for being such an inspiration! When I first saw your “What’s your excuse?” ad, the first thing that came to my mind was exactly what you intended for people to ask themselves. So, I asked myself that very question & decided to start doing something positive for myself. I had just received some very high cholesterol results from my Dr’s office. My cholesterol was almost 300 & I was only slightly overweight at the time. It really upset me to think I might have to start taking meds for it. I knew I wanted to get healthy for my family & my 4 yr old daughter who looks to me as a role model. So, my life changed the moment I decided to make it a lifestyle change to be healthy. I am down 12 lbs now & well within my BMI. I feel great now. I have a routine pretty similar to yours. I have never felt so good in my entire life. Being fit has made me a better person, Mother & Wife. I’m being healthy for my family. My cholesterol is way down now as well & without the meds! I just want to say, thank you for being such a positive role model. You are beautiful inside & out. You are truly an inspiration. Keep doing what you’re doing & God bless you. 😉
You should be proud of your body shape! You obviously work hard on it.
You should know that strength training cannot lose the muffin top. Sure it makes your muscles look better – which is great – but the strength training workout doesn’t use much energy and having muscles doesn’t increase your metabolism much.
Losing the muffin top is mostly about diet but also requires regular fat burning or aerobic exercise. Fast walking, cycling, running or whatever. Knowing about glycogen and weight loss is also very useful.
Maybe you can tell us more about your diet and aerobic stuff?
I experimented for ages trying to figure out how to lose weight. Once you know how it’s really not that hard.
There’s plenty of scientific research to back up my arguments. PubMed is a great place to find out more!
Strength training sure does boost the metabolism. That is the entire reason why my sister and i can eat the same amount of food and she will not gain weight. Our bodies are composed by fat and muscles. Our bodies use more energy on storing the muscles than on storing fat.
Practically if you are eating just 100 kcal too much everyday and gain weight, you can start strengthtraining and lose weight. The strengthtraining burns more calories over time, as the workout makes an impact on the muscle you work on, and it will eventually grow. Over time you will lose weight.
If you want the results faster you should do some cardio. Aerobic is kinda a mix of both.
I follow SiljeMariela.com – norwegian coach, her posts are easily translated by google.. 😉
What is the elapsed time between both pictures?
I’ve heard about you, I’ve recently read about you and now I’m inspired by you. I have been for the most part healthy and active but due to the lifestyle and children… I admit to making excuses. I am becoming more active and am more strict about what I eat and how I exercise. I’m in the process of getting back in shape and am looking towards your posts to motivate moms just like me. I am happy to be reading your posts. You’ve become an inspiration and a motivator!
you are an inspiration.
I hope this doesn’t sound bad but do you have any advice for someone who is disabled and not able to do a hard workout. I have a permanent disability in my lungs and I’m not able to walk much at all and my body is not strong either. I’m 6’2” and I’m right at 180lbs over weight. I take a lot of med’s including prednisone and chemo by mouth and Iv. It seems like loosing weight is a never ending battle that I can’t seem to win.
I have been trying for 20 years now. Could you give me any advice? I have to loose weight.
Any help at all would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks Maria for the inspiration!
I’m mentally revving up for post-partum fitness something I actually enjoy. Sort of like a vroom vroom feeling lol. I just quickly glance at a picture of myself on occasion where I liked my fitness level, enjoy it, and think encouraging words. That way I don’t feel awful or that it’s impossible. Only takes a few seconds. I hope this helps someone :).
I have one: buy the right size jeans 🙂 All women love to see the smaller number in clothes but we have to wear clothes that fit. Thanks for the tips, I will work on it.
What was.your 20 minute.routine?
Hi Maria I am losing weight and working out every day for 30 min a day and eating healthy and I can lose my muffin top and doing cardio 3 times a day what can I eat or what kind work can I do I am doing Jillian Michral body revolution every day. Thank you.
Hi maria i was wondering how long it took you to get rid of ur muffintop and begin to ur results
Hi i was wondering how long it took u to get rid of ur muffin top and begin to see ur results?