I love, love LOVE this recipe I found on SkinnyMom.com – they are healthy zucchini brownies! If you have a tough time getting your children to eat veggies (like my eldest son) then this IS the recipe for you. I wouldn’t eat this unless it was on my ‘free day’ as I usually try to keep sweets at bay during the week.
- 2 eggs
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup applesauce
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp ground cardamom
- 2 cups grated zucchini
- 1 1/2 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- In a bowl, combine the eggs, vanilla extract, sugar, salt, and the applesauce.
- Sieve the flour and the cocoa powder into another bowl. Add the baking soda, the cinnamon and the cardamom. Mix well.
- Add the egg mixture to the flour mixture and combine until the dry ingredients are mixed in well.
- Add the grated zucchini and the chocolate chips. Mix once more.
- Pour the brownie batter into a greased 8 x 8 baking tin or something with similar dimensions.
- Bake at 350°F for 30 to 40 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out somewhat clean.
- Allow to cool completely in the pan.