I still remember the days when I had a muffin top! I was very self conscious in form fitting dresses and tight tops. My vision was to confidently wear a tank top and jeans in the summertime! It took consistency, discipline, faith and patience but I finally got
rid of mines and here’s some tips on how to get rid of yours!
If you have any tips, pics or success stories to help others, please share!
1. Strength train your whole body! In order to see abdominal definition you typically need an athletic body fat percentage. So get lean (everywhere).
2. Additional benefits of strength training include more muscle, which increases your metabolism and overall fat-burning potential.
3. Limit your sugar intake. Excess carbs (esp simple carbs) that aren’t used for energy is stored as fat.
4. Don’t be scared of fat! Eat a balanced diet that includes healthy fats like nuts, avocado, olive and coconut oil.
5. Focus on exercises that focus on your transverse abdominal (TVA) – your deepest core muscle. I often perform several variations of the plank weekly.
6. Train your lower back. Your muffin top is not just the front of your body, but the back also. If you have a weak lower back (if you sit often this may be you) it will impede your success.
7. Don’t get stressed out. Be restful and practice meditation and perhaps prayer. When you are stressed you increase the stress hormone, cortisol, which promotes fat storage in your tummy area.
8. Drink a lot of water. Not only does water cleanse your system but prevents dehydration. Very often bloating and water retention occurs from lack of water intake.
9. Suck it in. Practice drawing your tummy in at all times: when you’re driving, standing, laying down… It engages your deepest core muscles and encourages better posture.
10. Perform intense cardio. High intensity interval training has proven to burn more calories, even after your workout. I usually train a minimum of 20 minutes/day 5-6 days a week.